This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Statement for Canterbury Punting Company
Situated in the centre of Canterbury, the exciting guided river tour takes you to all the sites which are inaccessible by foot. The bookings shop is situated on level ground. Coffee, tea and food are served and there is a range of seating and a toilet. There are eight steps down from the shop to the boats, and passengers will need to be able to sit on a maximum seat height of 14".
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 07786332666 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a link to our Visit England Accessibility statement. It's an alternative to the one on this page.
- For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the directions section of our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using a journey planning website; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is CT1 2NQ, to get directions.
- The nearest railway station is Canterbury East which is approximately 0.25 miles away (a 5 minute walk). Taxis are available at the station, alternatively you can call 01227 71077 to book a taxi.
- The nearest bus stop is the Whitefriars. This is approximately 250m/300yds. From Whitefriars one should follow Watling street until they reach Water lane.
- Shop mobility is available from Whitefriars. Call 01227 459889 for further details or to make a reservation. Alternatively visit the centre between 10am and 4pm Monday to Saturday.
- The pavements are all even surfaced in these areas.
Car Parking and Arrival
- The nearest parking facilities are at Watling Street car park. It is 200m/225yrds from Canterbury Punting Company. The tariff is £1.50/hour, or free for 3 hours for blue badge holders.
- The nearest free parking is on Gordon Road, behind Canterbury East station. This is free for 4 hours, and some of the roads adjoining Gordon Road are free all day.
- Passengers may be dropped off by car on Water Lane, outside our main entrance.
Main Entrance, Reception and Ticketing Area
- The main entrance is a normal door width of under one metre, and there is a small step. A ramp is available to aid wheelchair access, however some wheelchair users may not require this. There are grab rails on the door frame to assist walking through the door.
- There are eight steps down to the boats and a single handrail.
- There are sofas, chairs and stools within the cafe/ticket shop area. The floor is wooden. There is a toilet with a tiled floor. The area is well lit, with a selection of different lights. The seat is a contrasting colour, with grab rails either side.
- Inside the shop the floor is level.
- Refreshments are available to the left of the bar and boat tickets to the right of the bar.
- Staff will be available to aid disabled customers into the boat where possible.
Attraction (displays, exhibits, rides etc.)
- Once on the tour a commentary is given by the chauffeur. It is recommended that passengers with hearing difficulties sit closer to the guide. There is a hearing loop available inside the shop. The main attraction is the sites, so fully deaf passengers will still enjoy the tour.
- There is background music within the shop.
- The doors are 85cm wide and held open with a door stop.
- The tour can be dark when going through tunnels or during night tours.
- Toilets are available within the shop. This toilet is very small with no disabled facilities. It is lit with a standard bulb. The taps are hand operated. The floor has large tiles. The seat is 400mm/15.7" and a contrasting colour. There is no transfer space around the toilet, however gran rails are fitted either side. The door has a clearance space of 72cm. The door opens outward, leaving movement space inside. Floor tiles are black and white, whilst wall tiles are white only. The basin is white and toilet seat is black.
- The closest disabled toilets are located 150m/170yds at the Beaney tourist information centre. The Beaney is visible where Stour Street joins the High Street. Disabled ramp entrance is available from Best Lane +50m/60yds.
- The coffee shop entrance is 85cm wide and open on a door stop. There is a small step on entrance, staff are available to provide a small ramp. Once inside the shop the ground is level. There are grab rails fitted to the door frame.
- There is a selection of sofas, chairs and bar stools.
- There are a selection of different types of lighting, ceiling lights, and desk top lamps.
- The flooring is wooden.
- There are a selection of vegetarian and meat dishes.
- Orders can be placed at the bar, then delivered to your seat.
- Menus are visible on large print blackboards, and staff will read the menu to you.
- There is a toilet in the shop.
- Crockery and cutlery is a different colour.
- Evacuation is through either of the two main doors, or out the back onto the bridge.
- WiFi is available
- All dogs are welcome and dog water bowls are available.
- Window signs are in gold, saying Canterbury Punting Company. Font size is 10cm.
- Mobility scooters, pushchairs, and prams can be stored behind the bar.
- Being a popular destination for tourists, there is a large range of local accommodation available on sites such as booking.com.
- Main steps marked with high visibility grip tape.
- Door knobs contrasting colour
- contrasting toilets colours
Limited Mobility Customers
- Grab rails in toilet at around doors
- Handrail to the boat
- Ramp to the shop
- Assistance from staff to board the boat
- Transfer board onto boat available for Wheelchair users
- Please let us know if you have any special needs before or after arriving. We will be happy to discuss the best way to accommodate your needs.
- Dissabled toilet
- wheelchair shop counter
- improved accessible landing stage
Address including postcode:
Water Lane, Stour Street, Canterbury CT1 2NQ
Hours of operation:
80 Middle Street, Deal, Kent CT14 6HL, 01304 364 637
Local equipment hire:
Shop mobility is available from Whitefriars. Call 01227 459889 for further details or to make a reservation. Alternatively visit the centre between 10am and 4pm Monday to Saturday.
Local accessible taxi:
Galaxy Taxis - Canterbury 01227 450150
Local public transport:
Canterbury East Station, Station Road, East Canterbury, Kent CT1 2RB. Whitefriars Bus stop/station 14, Gravel Walk, Canterbury, Kent CT1 2TF, 01227 826760